Monday, May 21, 2007

Cancer

Cancer. A term that is so common to everyone. But how many people can understand it so well like a doctor does?

For these 2 weeks, UTAS is teaching cancer. Be it benign or malignant. I was a little bit shaken when got to know how scary cancer is.
I won't go into detail about the pathology of cancer because I guess most of you won't understand it. Just want to share the message that don't expose yourself too long under the sun between 10am to 3pm. Melanoma (skin cancer) spread to the body aggressively. For ladies, breast cancer checking is really important.

I am on task this week, have to do some research on how to deliver bad news to a patient. We were told that in hospital, the interns are the one responsible to deliver bad news to the patients. I hope I can do it well. Just imagine how are you going to tell a patient that he/she has got a cancer / terminal disease? What are the special needs for these patients? Great challenge.

Weeks before, completed my assignments on mortality responses. Something really caught my attention was how a doctor is going to respond when his/her patients die? Especially those who they have been taken care of for a long period of time. Most of the doctor grieve. This is especially true for interns, young doctors and female doctors. So do you find this profession interesting?

Starting next semester, each medical student will be allocated a family where there is a new-born baby. We got to visit these families for 2.5 years. Interesting. I am looking forward to this Kids and Families Program. So early got to deal with baby, wao, hope it will be fun.

Tomorrow will be my final info literacy exam. Hope I can do well since it weights 10 %.

My final exam will be from 11 June - 21 June. 4 components. So please don't interupt me during that period of time. I will be free after that for 3 weeks winter holiday. We can chat non-stop then.

To all those INTEC basketball buddies, hope we can meet in Monash. We will have a great game then. Before that, I got to recover from my sprain first. 3 weeks has passed and it is still painful. No sports and I am getting fat now, arh!!!

Got to pia tomorrow exam ady, c ya everyone.

1 Comments:

Blogger ahnai said...

.....

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home